Namami Gange Project Scheme Status And Date
The Ganga River is the lifeblood of India. The very ancient Indus Valley Civilization sprung up on the banks of this river. The river has been providing the country and its teeming millions with lifesaving water. It not only provides us with water to drink but it has been an important channel of transportation since the early days. India would not have been able to flourish as a trading center.
Its importance is also deeply rooted in the base of the Hindu Mythology and the religious beliefs of the Hindu population. The water of this holy river is considered so sacred that it is used during any auspicious event. But the river is in deep trouble, owing to the rapid rate of water pollution. Every day, thousands of tons of industrial and domestic wastes are being dumped in the river, decreasing its navigability.
If the situation is not checked immediately, then the fate of the entire nation will be jeopardized. To put an end to this, the Prime Minister of India, Mr. Narendra Modi, has initiated the project called Namami Gange, wherein the river will be cleaned, and the level of water pollution will be brought down. The Prime Minister commented that as an Indian, it is his duty and responsibility to rid Maa Ganga of her horrible situation.
Namami Gange Project: Its salient features
The following are some of the salient aspects of the Namami Gange project:
- The work of cleaning the river and reducing the level of water pollution is supposed to be finished by the financial year of 2020.
- The Namami Gange Projects is part of an integrated endeavor that has been aimed at not only lessening the water pollution but will also develop the lives of those dependent on this river.
- During the time of initiation, the Union Government allocated a whopping sum of Rs. 2037 Crores as the initial budget of the entire project.
- As the river flows through the industrial belt of the nation, it is dotted with many heavy and light industries, which used to dump all the industrial wastes into the waters of the holy river. After the initiation of the project, the government has restricted 48 of these factories to do so.
- For restoring the piousness and cleanliness of the river, the government has announced that Rs. 20000 will be spent in the days to come on a strict basis.
- As most of the previous Ganga cleaning projects fell flat on the face, the current government has laid down stringent rules to ensure its success.
- As the Ganga River flows through the entire northern and north-eastern part of the country, about eight starts and nearly 47 towns will be benefited under the project.
Also Read – Pradhan Mantri Swasthya Suraksha Yojana
Namami Gange project and its benefits
- The Ganga River cleaning project will not only develop the sorry state of this national heritage river but will also be able to create good job opportunities. According to estimates, the project will be helpful in providing the residents of the nearby areas to get jobs in the project.
- As the state of the river will be developed, the lifestyle of the people, living on the two banks will also be changed in a positive manner.
- With the rise in the level of water pollution, the chances, of people being affected by water-borne diseases, also goes up. Once the river is cleaned, it will be easy to keep this issue at bay. People will lead healthier lives as well.
- Most rural folks have the tendency to opt for open defecation. It has a negative effect both on the lives of the people and on nature as well. Under the Namami Gange program, this will be curbed. To ensure success in this segment, the project will work in close association with the Swachh Bharat Abhiyan.
Plans for curbing the levels of Water Pollution
Cleaning the water of the river will not go very far if the causes of water pollution are not checked. The following are some of the proactive steps, which the government has taken for putting a check on the levels of water pollution:
- Installation of bioremediation methods will ensure that the waste fluids are treated and rendered harmless, before being dumped in the river. When water gets treated in these ways, it will not pollute the water anymore. It will prove to be good for the industries as well.
- The formation of the Territorial Army Ganga Eco Taskforce ( 4 battalions) for the maintenance and upkeep of the activities.
- The latest PPP methods will be put to use and will be implemented in the future for keeping the pollution in check.
- Most of the sewage canals open into the river. Immediate action will be taken to change the situation. If the waste tends to get into the stream, measured will be taken to stop it from getting to the mainstream.
- Some municipal sewage treating plants are supposed to be opened up to make sure that none of the domestic sewage wastes enters the river without adequate treatment.