Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana-A Fortunate Thing For Indian Citizens Below Poverty Line
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana, There are numerous advantages of a healthy life. Body becomes free from different types of disorders and therefore helps in getting a longer life.
Doing brilliant work assists you to be an important member of the healthy society. Also, if you are physically healthy it is shown on your face.
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana
Hence, you look striking and begin feeling nice about yourself. If you have a healthy body, then you can have a mentally and physically active life even after becoming old.In brief, health and wellness brings extreme enhancement in the overall quality of the life.
Getting health insurance is significant for numerous reasons. Uninsured people get a smaller amount of medical care and less suitable care, they have bad health results, and not getting insurance is a monetary burden for them and their families.
Furthermore, the advantages of increasing coverage overshadow the costs for extra services. This is the reason government started insurance scheme for BPL family known as Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY).
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana details:
It is a government-run health insurance plan for families which are below poverty line. It offers cashless assurance for hospitalization in public hospitals and for certain private hospitals as well.
It became completely operational on April 1, 2008 and is running effectively and successfully in 25 states of India. It works on IT-enabled and smart–card-based cashless health cover of up to Rs. 30,000/- per annul to the families which are below poverty line and 11 work-related groups in unorganized sector and most essentially the workers who have worked for over 15 days under MGNREGS.
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana
It also covers maternity profit. Approximately over 36 million families have been registered under this scheme and are availing the facilities of this scheme.
Initially Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana project was taken care by Ministry of Labour and Employment, but from April 1, 2015 it is being taken care by Ministry of Health and Family Welfare.
Originally this scheme targeted only Below Poverty Line families. However, as its initial phase seemed successful, the other categories were also made to be included under this scheme.
These categories consist of unorganized workers who will be covered under the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana like building and other construction workers registered with the Welfare Boards, licensed Railway Porters, street Vendors,
MNREGA workers who have worked for over 15 days during the previous financial year, beedi Workers, domestic workers, sanitation workers, mine workers, rickshaw pullers, rag pickers, auto/taxi driver.
Working of Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana
This proposal runs in partnership of both Centre and State government. Central government gives 75% of the estimated annual premium that is Rs. 565 of total premium amount of Rs. 750 per family per annum and 25% is given by state government.
Every Below Poverty line family member having a yellow ration card is the recipient under this plan.
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana
The recipient has to give Rs. 30 per annum as enrolment or renewal charge to obtain biometric-enabled smart card for categorizing their eligibility.
Under Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana the recipient will be insured with medical care up to ₹30,000 for recipient per annum.
Every pre-existing illness is also insured from day one. Recipient is also qualified to get transportation cost in a limit of Rs. 1000 per annum.
This is the great initiative by Govt. Of India, which aim at providing health insurance to citizens of this country who are below poverty line and cannot afford expensive health insurance premiums of private insurance companies.
Also, they are covered from the day one under this scheme. This feature is not available even with all the private insurance companies.
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana has two important objectives:
1) To offer financial protection against disastrous health costs by reducing out
2) To increase access to quality health care for BPL families of pocket expenditure for hospitalization and other weak groups in unorganized sector.
How to apply for Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana:
Electronic list of suitable BPL Families is given to insurer, by a pre-specified data format. Enrolment plan for every village with dates is arranged by insurance company with the assistance of district level officers.
According to the plan, BPL list is placed in every village at enrollment station and important places before the enrollment and date and place of enrollment in village is revealed in advance.
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana
Movable enrollment stations are established at local centers like public schools in every village. These centers have all the necessary equipment by the insurer with hardware necessary to gather bio metric information and photographs of members of family covered and printer to print smart cards with the photo.
Smart card, together with the information brochure, explaining the plan and the list of hospitals, is given on the spot if the recipient has paid 30 rupee charge and reliable Government Officer has verified the smart card.
The procedure generally takes less than 10 minutes. Cards are given in a plastic cover. A recipient of Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana obtains cashless profit in any of the hospitals.
He or she only requires to holding his/ her smart card and offer authentication through his or her finger print. There are so many portals you can have information about it.
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana
If you have any kind of doubts in enrollment process or if you have questions regarding you’re eligible or any other concern, you can get all your queries settled down with the help of these online portals. So make most of it and go for it as soon as possible.
Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana | RSBY Scheme
A total of 93 percent of the population of the country is associated with the unorganized sector for employment. Thus, it is important to safeguard their health and social security. As most of these people are below the poverty line, they do not have the capacity to register for any insurance. The main reason behind this is the high rates of premium. Thus, it is the duty of the Central Government to bring forth some schemes, which will help the people in this regard.
Launch Dates of the RSBY
Though the Unorganized Workers Social Security Act was already passed and many schemes were also started at it, none of them could stand the test of time. These schemes failed to meet the requirements of the poor people due to planning or implementation errors. Thus, the government launched the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY) to address the situation. The program was set in action from the 1st of April, 2008. The earlier programs were scrutinized properly to plan a scheme that has all the benefits but none of the shortcomings of the former plans. Under this Yojana, the people registered under the BPL list will be provided with adequate insurance and health facilities.
Central also supports Pradhan Mantri Suraksha Bima Yojana , Pradhan Mantri Jeevan Jyoti Bima Yojana and Mission Indradhanush Health Program For Children.
Here you can read All central schemes
Aim of the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana
The people in the unorganized sectors often fall ill to various ailments. This raises the need for hospitalization. The high charges of the hospitals are too much for them to tackle. Thus, the government of the nation has taken the initiative to provide them with health insurance. Under this scheme, they will be given money to pay for their treatments. The Yojana has been targeted towards proving health security and social security to the poor people, working in the unorganized sectors.
One of the milestone programs, implemented by the government, in this regard is the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana (RSBY). In the year 2008, the Central Government passed an act called the Unorganized Workers Social Security Act. The main aim of this program was to eliminate the impurities of unorganized sector works to combat the issues of health shocks, disability, old age, and maternity. The RSBYis expected to address the situation in the best ways possible.
Many modifications have been made in the scheme over the years. It has been done to bring a greater part of the people associated with the unorganized sectors under the program. The program has two main objectives:
- The first objective of the program is to give security to any health issues. The financial aid that will be provided by the government in this respect will reduce the burden of medical bills, on the poor people.
- The second objective of the program is to give the poor people access to better health care facilities, without worrying about the expenditures. As the expenses of hospitalization will be borne by the government, the out of pocket expenses, on the part of the people, will be eliminated.
Muft Bima Yojana has been started in Haryana for improving the situation of the merchants.you can read All demands of Haryana merchants in Muft Bima Yojana.
Features of the Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana/ RSBY
Though various other attempts were made by the Central Government to give health security to the poor people, the RSBY has been considered the best of all, so far. The following are the salient features of the scheme:
- Empowerment of the receivers – Under the scheme, the government has given the people falling under the BPL category to choose either the private or the government hospitals, for getting medical treatment. As the money will be paid by the government, the medical centers will not turn the clients down as they are in a good position to make a profit.
- Business Plan for every Stakeholder – All the stakeholders stand a chance to gain something from the program. The government has highlighted many incentives in the plan. These incentives will assist in the expansion and sustainability of the program.
- Insurers – As the premium will come from the government, the company selling the insurance policies also have a chance of making a profit. They will have the motivation of selling the policy to as many people from the BPL sectors as possible.
- Hospitals – Both the private and the govern hospitals will be motivated to cater to the poor people, registered under the scheme. They will not have to worry about the defaults in the payment. The more people they treat, the more money will flow into their accounts. This money can be used by the hospital authority for their internal developments.
- Government – The government agency will be responsible towards paying the premium for each registered family. Thus, they will be able to instill a completive attitude among the government and private health care centers. It will, in turn, assure the proper medical treatment of the patients and will also develop the overall health conditions of the entire nation.
- Intermediaries – MFIs and NGOs will also be benefited from the project. These agencies have been associated with the development of the health and wellbeing of the poor people. Thus, the government has announced that these agencies will also be provided with financial grants for bringing more people under the scheme. It will provide the agencies with a renewed impetuous to work towards the success of the project.
- Information Technology Intensive – To make the scheme reach the maximum number of people under the project, the government has taken the help of advanced information technology as well. Each registered family member has been provided with a smart card. This card contains all biometric details. During the times of need, the hospitals, as well as the government agencies, will be able to track the activities and data flow will be made easy.
- Safe and guaranteed process – As the scheme is embedded with the latest technological system and is monitored by key management authority, there are no chances of any foul play. The barometric details in the card will ensure that only the rightful owner is getting the benefits in the proper manner. It will also make the process of streamlined.
- Portability – Another interesting feature of the scheme is its portability. If the holder of the card travel to another part of the country and seeks to get treatment in any of the hospitals, listed under the plant, then they can do so just by producing the smart card.
- Paperless and Cashless contacts – One of the reasons why the earlier schemes failed was the issues related to documentation. Under RSBY, this issue has been eliminated for good. The registered person needs to carry only the smart card. The listed hospitals will have to send the claims to the respective insurance company via mail, and the amount will be transferred to the account automatically.
- Evaluation and Robust Monitoring – The data management system is very robust. Thus, the task of making the evaluations has become smooth. A dedicated data management department is working round the clock to improve the plan and also benefit the people properly.
Rajasthan Government also supports Samajik Suraksha Pension Yojana and RAHAT Scheme for citizens.Here you read Key Features of Samajik Suraksha Pension Yojana and Key Features Of RAHAT .
Eligibility Criteria of Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojana
After discussing the objectives, features and the benefits of the scheme, let us take a look at the eligibility criteria of registering under the scheme.
- The program was spearheaded by the government to secure the medical health of all people falling under the poverty line and who are employed in the unorganized sectors. With one application, the candidate will be able to get the insurance of 5 members of the family.
- All the members of one household will be provided with the smart card. The card will contain all details of the person. During hospitalization, the card must be shown to the authority, and they will take care of the rest.
- All candidates, willing to take part in the scheme must have a valid ration card. If they do not have a card, then they will not be able to register for the RSBY.
Beneficiary Criteria of the Yojana
During the launch of the program, only 25 states were included. Till 2014, a total of 36 million families has already been brought under the scheme. Firstly, all people, falling in the BPL category were included in the Yojana. As time passes, the following groups were also included under the scheme:
- Domestic aids and workers
- Sanitation workers
- Coal miners and mine workers
- Rickshaw pullers
- Auto drivers
- Taxi drivers
- Street vendors
- Railway porters
Yogi Adityanath also announced Advance Life Support Program In Uttar Pradesh for better medical facilities. You can read about Eligibility Criteria of Advance Life Support Program In Uttar Pradesh .
Premium payment of the Yojana
According to the guidelines of the scheme, the registered household, falling under the poverty line will not have to worry about the payment of the premium. The Central government will pay the premium amount of Rs. 750. The minimum premium amount will start from Rs. 565. The person will only have to pay Rs. 30 during the registration. The Central Government will pay the money towards the generation of the smart card as well.
Insurance Coverage of the Yojana
Each family, coming under the poverty line, will be provided with the health insurance by both the Central and the State Governments. By paying a yearly premium of Rs. 750, the government will provide the registered households with a total coverage of Rs. 30, 000 for an entire year. This sum will be used to pay for hospitalization charges for the five registered members of each family.
Mode of the Payment
Once the registration has been done, it is the responsibility of the government to make the monetary transactions. The money will be directly transferred to the account of the insurance company, in the name of the registered household. When the policyholder or the any of the registered family members get hospitalized, the medical expenses will be transferred from the insurance company to the account of the respective hospital.
How to enroll in RSBY?
The government agencies will conduct a survey and prepare a list of all the families, which can be included in the BPL list. This list will then be forwarded to the insurance company, selected by the government for providing the policies. It is the duty of the insurance company to reach out to the families and urge them to do the needful.
The insurance providing company will make a separate list, containing the names of all the people, for every village separately. Dates will be allocated, and enrollment centers will be organized in these villages. For interior rural areas, mobile enrollment camps will be organized. Here. The villagers will come with their ration cards. All the enrolling centers will have appropriate machines, which can be used for collecting the biometric information, like fingerprints, photographs, etc.
The insurance company will also keep a printing machine that will print the smart cards immediately. In the very same enrollment centers, the individuals registering under the Yojana will be given their smart card. The card must be signed and undedicated by officials present in the centers. Once the candidate has paid the sum of Rs. 30, the card, the information booklet, and pamphlet will be given to them. The card will be placed in a cover made of plastic for its safe keeping. The entire process will take not more than 10 minutes.
How to acquire the application form
The only way of getting the form for applying for the project is to collect it from the enrollment centers. The form must be filled and submitted at the center itself.
Necessity of the smart card
The utilization of the Smart Card is for an assortment of exercises like ID of the recipient through photo and fingerprints. It also contains all the data in regards to the patient. The most imperative capacity of the smart card is that it empowers cashless exchanges at the listed medical centers and can be used in any part of the nation.
What if the smart card is lost?
There may be instances when the candidate misplaces the smart card. In that case, the person must approach the nearest center of the insurance company and apply for getting another smart card.
Smart card verification procedure
The smart card will contain the photograph of the head member of the family. The chip inserted in the card will contain the photographs and other details of the other insured members as well. Thus, when a person gets admitted to the hospital, the respective authority will do the necessary verification tasks.
Cashless transaction facility
The main advantage of the scheme is that the candidate will not have to carry any cash with him/her. When getting admitted in a listed hospital, they will have to produce the smart card and get the data scanned. Once the authentication of the card and the identity of the cardholder have been done, they will get medical treatment without worrying about the payment. The insurer will transfer the total amount directly to the hospital account.
Indian Government supports cashless payment. Here you can read How to download, install and use of BHIM App .
Claiming the benefits of the Yojana
As it is a cashless facility, claiming the benefits is also very easy. If the candidate is getting admission in any of the listed hospitals, they just need to produce the smart card. Once the hospital authority gets the smart card, they will tally the data and do the needful. There is nothing much that the patient party needs to do.
Contacting the authority / Official Website
In case you need to get more information about the scheme, you can check out the official website of the scheme by clicking on the https://www.india.gov.in/spotlight/rashtriya-swasthya-bima-yojana. Each has its center where one can get the necessary information. A quick search on the internet will give you the helpline numbers of the respective centers.
Benefits of the RSBY Yojana
The following are some of the important benefits of the RSBY Yojana:
- As it has already been mentioned, the aim of this scheme was targeted towards providing better health and social security to the people living under the poverty line. Thus, the program will assist the registered candidates in getting rid of the expenses related to medical treatment.
- The eligible candidate will only have to pay a sum of Rs. 30 during the time of registration. This will not only ensure their treatment but will also ensure the payment of medical expenses of their spouse and any three dependent members of the family. Thus, with only 30 bucks, 5 members of one family can get medical insurance from the government.
- The insurance company will pay a sum of up to Rs.30,000 / year for meeting the medical costs. On top of this, the government will also provide a sum of not more than Rs. 1000 for meeting the transportation charges.
- The scheme will provide financial help to the people for most of the diseases, which have been mentioned in the list. Any disease that requires the patient to the admitted in the hospital will be covered as well. In case the person had incurred any disease before registering under the scheme that will also be covered accordingly.
- Apart from the above-mentioned benefits, the registered person will not have to worry about depositing any money at the time of admission in the listed hospitals. It is because the entire insurance policy is operated on a cashless basis.